Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Daddy for President!

So yesterday was the "big day." Congrats to President Obama. May God bless you as you begin what is probably one of the greatest undertakings one can do in this world. I'll admit, I voted for the other guy, but was on the fence big time. But there is no whining and griping here. (McCain's a good guy, but I actually shudder at the thought of who our VP would be at this moment, after the fact.) He's our President. He's my husband's boss. He deserves all the respect one can give.

But I digress (I do that a lot...)

The kids and I watched the inaguration last night (on at 6pm Germany time). They were very interested and asked a lot of questions. I was shocked to discover that neither of them had any discussion in school about it. The schools didn't do anything for the election either. Geez! I clearly remember in 1984 having a "mock" election in Mrs. Ramstad's 4th Grade class. Reagan won for President and Booth Gardner soundly defeated John Spellman for Governor of Washington. (Mom, can you believe I remember that? LOL!) Yeah. Here? Nothing. At least in my kids' classes. What an opportunity wasted. But we talked about it here. Meghan is somewhat jealous of Sacha and Malia Obama that they get to live in the White House. She thinks it would be cool to live there. She mentioned that Rod should run for President so she can live there too. I let that one go. So today I'm on the internet and I read an article about the scavenger hunt that White House people put together for the girls and some new friends while their parents were at all the parties. The article didn't say what all they had to find, just that it was designed to help them become more familiar with the place. Fun! What the piece DID say, was that their last "find," behind a closed door, was none other than the JONAS BROTHERS. Now, Meghan worships them. Has the CDs in her room and on her IPod. I've even caved and bought her Bop and Tiger Beat Magazines that were dedicated to the band and now her room is a shrine. She's obsessed, to put in plainly. But that's ok. I remember clearly intending to marry Kirk Cameron when I was 10 or 11. I let her do her thing. I told her at dinner tonight what the Obama girls (and how cute are they, by the way.) "found" at their little party...

She's upstairs plotting Rod's campaign as we speak. Daddy for President in 2012. Hey, better than Palin, right? *grin*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your story, Laura. Meghan is a hoot.